Radioactive Entertainment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ground Rules

4 posters

Go down

Ground Rules Empty Ground Rules

Post by ifer Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:05 pm

The campaign will take place on a homebrew world that will be inspired by various fantasy and real life sources, but will follow none. This means that much of your gamer knowledge will be useless. For example: in this world, a dragon's colour doesn't indicate his or her breath weapon. Reconnaissance will be important.

The main die type we will be using is a D20. High is good, low is bad. If you roll a 1 or a 20, roll again. If it's the same number as the last roll, it's a critical success/botch. At which point something interesting will happen.

Using abilities will involve both role-playing and die rolls. You may either explain what you are trying to do in an abstract way, role-play it specifically, or preferably both. Then roll a die, posting both the roll's result and any modifiers you have that you think are relevant.
Both the way you describe it and the roll itself will have an effect on the results, as will any relevant abilities your character has. For example: if a player is trying to gather information, and accidentally says something offensive to their contact while role-playing, a good die roll or charismatic character might get you the information regardless. The reverse is also possible, so try to role-play; it might save your life.

During combat, don't worry about turn order. Post anything in particular you will be attempting to do this battle, your die roll(s), and your modifiers, as soon as possible. If you don't post that you're doing something special, I'll assume you're acting as usual, and the game won't be ground to a halt. (It would be a good idea to have a both a basic group and individual combat plan written up that you will usually use.) I'll post the results of each round separately, to give you a chance to react to the previous round and change your attack plan.

To make it easier to tell what is and is not actually being done, while allowing our usual friendly banter, we'll be using a colour-coding system: Red will be used for out of character but still in-game questions and comments, use blue when your character's actually doing or saying something, and for anything else plain black will do (but be ignored for game purposes).
I will be using red for responses to your passive rolls, actions and questions, blue for anything immediate, in-your face, or action-packed that's happening, green for background and setting information, and black again for out of character babbling.

These are the basics of how I'm going to be running the game. I'll be adding to them periodically as stuff comes up. If you have any suggestions, complaints or questions, don't hesitate to discuss them here.
ifer
ifer
Admin

http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Ground Rules Empty Re: Ground Rules

Post by Kyle Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 pm

I was thinking perhaps we shouldn't speak out of character in the game itself, as we have the ability to create a different topic for that. It's just my opinion but I think that having what our character is doing and an out of character joke in the same post will wreck the mood. Plus that frees black up for normal character posting, as I think reading post after post of green text will be a little hard on the eyes.

Again, just my 2 cents
Kyle
Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by ifer Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am

Point. M'kay then; no colour-coding.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am

Actually, something I've seen and done on rpol is to have a specific colour for each player's dialouge. That way it's easy to tell when someone's talking, then you just have everything else in black.
Kyle
Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by SkittlesMeTimber Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:31 am

So, I think it appropriate to have Jaynus talk in green, if we're doing what Kyle is proposing

SkittlesMeTimber

Back to top Go down

Post by ifer Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Sounds good. NPCs will talk in Blue, then.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Alright, I think Marcus will use dark blue then
Kyle
Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by molten.fire.&.ice Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:43 pm

My character (who's stats will be posted soon) will take purple.

molten.fire.&.ice

http://molten-fire-and-ice.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ifer Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Holding your action may cause you to make general spot, search and tactics checks if you are not engaged in combat.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down